NordVPN is a personal virtual private network service provider. With NordVPN’s service, you have a secure encrypted tunnel for the online traffic to pass through. A VPN provides a secure connection between your device and the internet. Your IP address and location are no longer visible to everyone through a VPN.
This is useful if you’re on a public Wi-Fi, if you use business accounts on the go, or if you want to keep your browsing history private.
NordVPN is currently the most popular VPN provider. We explain below how NordVPN works, what it costs and how you can manage your account.
Curious where NordVPN is located? NordVPN itself is based in Panama. NordVPN does have 5111 servers in 59 countries. At https://nordvpn.com/nl/servers/tools/ you can see which server is most suitable for your country.
How does NordVPN work?
You choose NordVPN as a provider of VPN connections. You take out a subscription with NordVPN and create an account. You then download software for the device you want to use NordVPN for (usually for your laptop or phone). The VPN encrypts your internet traffic and sends your data over a secure connection to the VPN server.
Okay, how should you use NordVPN?
- Go to https://nordvpn.com/nl/ (if you order via the NordVPN website you can often take advantage of the great discounts they offer)
- Go to “Order NordVPN” in the top right
- In that screen you can choose your plan: for 1 month, 1 year, 2 years or for 3 years.
- Select your plan and press “Proceed to payment”
- There you will come to a payment screen where you can enter your details and choose your payment method. You immediately create your NordVPN account.
You can also pay (partly) with a NordVPN coupon. You enter this coupon code in the same screen where you choose your plan. Then press Continue to pay and you will see the remaining amount (if any) that you still have to pay via another method.
NordVPN does not offer a free trial, but does have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Then download the software for your laptop, tablet or smartphone and log in to your account with your login details. From that moment on you can start using the VPN.
How good is NordVPN?
There are a lot of VPN providers. How do you know which is the best VPN and how good and secure NordVPN is? Fortunately, VPN providers and services are also tested, so that you can make good choices. For example, the Consumers’ Association provides extensive background information and tips for VPNs and VPNdiensten.nl has tested various VPNs. According to VPNgids.nl, NordVPN excels in security and unblocking. Furthermore, NordVPN is known as a cheap VPN. You can use NordVPN on six devices at the same time. VPNgids.nl considers NordVPN the ‘best overall’, because NordVPN is ‘reliable, affordable, fast, packed with extra features, works very well to bypass geo-blocking (i.e. access international content from streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime) and keep your torrent traffic privately’. NordVPN works on Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, iOS, routers, Android TV, Chrome and Firefox.
How good is NordVPN? NordVPN is considered one of the best VPNs in terms of security. The reason is that NordVPN uses two (open VPN) encryption protocols that are considered by experts to be the most secure protocols available today. In addition, NordVPN has no logging policy, which means that it does not keep any log files, so it does not track your browsing history and does not store or analyze any data. That is of course a safe and nice idea in these times when data is shared, analyzed and sold in abundance.
What does NordVPN cost?
NordVPN is quite cheap and is known for that. At NordVPN you can choose different plans:
- Plan for 3 years: EUR 3.11 per month, will be charged every 3 years (this is the longest and therefore cheapest plan)
- Plan for 2 years: EUR 4.44 per month, will be charged every 2 years
- Plan for 1 year: EUR 6.22 per month, will be charged per year
- Plan for 1 month: EUR 10.64 per month, will be charged per month (this is the shortest and therefore most expensive plan)
How do I cancel NordVPN?
Do you want to cancel your subscription with NordVPN? Or do you think during your 30-day money-back period that you do not want to continue with NordVPN. Then you have to cancel your subscription. How?
- Go to nordvpn.com.
- Log in to your NordVPN account.
- Then go to the Dashboard tab.
- Click on “⋮”.
- Select “Change Plan”.
- Select “Cancel automatic payments”.
- Then contact NordVPN’s customer service (which has a good and customer-friendly reputation) via email or live chat and cancel your subscription, cancel your account and ask for your money – that you paid in advance – back. At NordVPN you will not find a simple button to cancel your subscription.
NordVPN is known for being quick to refund your money. You can expect the money that you have requested back in your account within two working days.